Expert in organic chemistry and drug development with excellent analytical and communication skills. Expert knowledge in chemistry is applicable to patent law and forensic investigation. Specific areas of application include organic synthesis, medicinal and process chemistry, chemical synthesis and manufacturing, chemical reaction mechanisms, chemical analysis methods and interpretation, laboratory setup and instrumentation, chemical properties, reactivity, and composition of matter.
Hourly rate for expert witness services: $200/h
M.B.A.: Fully Employed MBA Program at CSU San Marcos, CA 
Ph.D., Organic Chemistry: Yale University, New Haven, CT / University of California, Berkeley, CA 
B.S., Chemistry: University of California, Irvine, CA 
Chief Executive Officer & Co-Founder February 2020-Present Scaled Solutions Technologies LLC San Marcos, CA 92079 Established start-up company to develop and deploy new laboratory tracking technology; oversees business development, strategic and financial planning, market analysis, product development and operations.
Business Development Manager May 2018-February 2020 Averica Discovery Services, Inc. (Remote) Marlborough, MA 01752 Generated leads and capitalized on valuable business opportunities to bring in company revenue and enhance customer relations.
Sr Manager, Product Development-API Chemistry May 2017-March 2018 Intercept Pharmaceuticals, Inc. San Diego, CA 92121 Provided technical oversight for chemistry projects including synthesis, chemical development and manufacture.
Scientist 2012-2017 Dart Neuroscience LLC San Diego, CA 92131 Lead chemist and project manager for an early phase development program. Performed process research for lead compounds.
Anson, J. D.; Kimmel, K. L.; Lugo III, T. M.; Smith, J. P. "Improvements to Inventory Management Systems and Related Methods." USPTO utility patent application filed August 20, 2020.
1. Liu, Jing; Kimmel, Kyle; Dao, Kimkim; Liu, Yang; Qi, Ming. "Identification and Elimination of an Unexpected Catalyst Poison in Suzuki Coupling." Org. Process Res. Dev. 2018, 22, 111.
2. Kimmel, K. L.; Robak, M. T.; Thomas, S.; Lee, M.; Ellman, J. A. "Enantio- and Diastereoselective Addition of Thioacetic Acid to Nitroalkenes via N-Sulfinyl Urea Catalysis." Tetrahedron 2012, 68, 2704.
3. Kimmel, K. L.; Weaver, J. D.; Ellman, J. A. "Enantio- and Diastereoselective Addition of Cyclohexyl Meldrum's Acid to - and ,-Disubstituted Nitroalkenes via N-Sulfinyl Urea Catalysis." Chem. Sci. 2012, 3, 121.
4. Kimmel, K. L.; Robak, M. T.; Ellman, J. A. "Enantioselective Addition of Thioacetic Acid to Nitroalkenes via N-Sulfinyl Urea Organocatalysis." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 8754.
5. Turlington, M.; Pu, L. Kimmel, K. L.; Ellman, J. A. "Preparation of (S)-3,3'-Bismorpholinomethyl- 5,5',6,6',7,7',8,8'- octahydro-l,l-bi-2-naphthol." Org. Synth. 2010, 87, 59. [checked procedure]
6. Debardinis, A.; Turlington, M.; Pu, L.; Kimmel, K. L.; Ellman, J. A. "Catalytic Asymmetric Addition of an in-situ prepared Aryl-Zinc to Cyclohexanecarboxaldehyde: (+)-a-Cyclohexyl3-methoxy-benzenemethanol." Org. Synth. 2010, 87, 68. [checked procedure]
7. Kim, A. I.; Kimmel, K. L.; Romero, A.; Smitrovich, J. H.; Woerpel, K. A. "Mechanistic Studies of the Allylic Rearrangements of -Siloxy Allylic Silanes to Siloxy Vinylic Silanes." J. Org. Chem. 2007, 72, 6595.
1. Attended and actively participated in the CfPIE-sponsored training course “Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).” September 27-29, 2016. Los Angeles, CA.
2. Attended and actively participated in the Scientific Update-sponsored training course “Chemical Development & Scale- Up in the Fine Chemical & Pharmaceuticals Industries.” March 4-6, 2015. San Francisco, CA.
1. Kimmel, K. L. “Deeper Visibility in Lab Inventory.” Founders Live San Diego Virtual Pitch Competition. August 11, 2021. San Diego, CA.
2. Kimmel, K. L. SST RealTime Platform Exhibition. Biotech Vendor Services, Inc. Biotech Community Event. June 29, 2021. San Diego, CA.
3. Kimmel, K. L.; Anson, J. D.; Lugo, T. M.; Smith, J. P.; MacArevey-Colello, K. E. “Lab Inventory Automation.” TCI-SST RealTime Platform Demonstration Event. November 19, 2020. San Diego, CA.
4. Kimmel, K. L.; Weaver, J. D.; Robak, M. T.; Thomas, S.; Ellman, J. A. "Enantio- and Diastereoselective Addition of Cyclohexyl Meldrum's Acid to Nitroalkenes via N-Sulfinyl Urea Organocatalysis." Abbott Scholars Symposium, August 30, 2011. Abbott Corporate Headquarters, Abbott Park, IL.
5. Kimmel, K. L.; Robak, T. M.; Thomas, S.; Ellman, J. A. "Enantioselective Addition of Thioacetic Acid to Nitroalkenes via N-Sulfinyl Organocatalysis." American Chemical Society, National Conference, March, 2010. San Francisco, CA.
6. Kimmel, K. L.; Romero, T.; Woerpel, K. A. "Mechanistic Studies of Allylsilane Rearrangement." Honors Undergraduate Research Thesis Presentation, June 2007, UC Irvine.
CSUSM Featured Alumni 2021 Interviewed and publicly featured on LinkedIn and Instagram social media outlets as a CSU San Marcos MBA "Alumni Success Story." The story includes SST company background, interview highlights and a feature photo. https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6831278408136241152/
Abbott Scholar 2011 Selected as one of 19 graduate student researchers nationally to receive the 2011 Abbott Scholar Award and invited to attend and present research at the annual Abbott Scholars Symposium at Abbott headquarters in North Chicago.
SURP Fellow 2006 & 2007 Awarded two consecutive summers with the UC Irvine Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) Fellowship - a UC-Irvine-sponsored scholarship for summer research which culminates in a late-summer symposium and research presentation.