Roy H. Owen
Waterstone Asset Management, LLC
January, 2010 to present
Managing Director in charge of three defaulted loan asset management lines of business: CMBS special servicing, non-performing whole loan asset management, and management of defaulted specialty/franchise finance assets for Waterstone Asset Management, a rated special servicer.
Independent advisory and management services
2003 to present
Independent consultant in real estate and real estate capital markets, including strategy and operations advisory, bankruptcy and restructuring, litigation support, expert witness testimony, valuation, and process re-engineering. Previously, Senior Advisor to Marshall & Stevens, a full-line valuation and advisory firm, with particular focus on commercial real estate advisory services to financial institutions.
Crown NorthCorp, Inc.
Member of Board of Directors, Managing Director – U.S. asset management
2005 to 2008
Member of Board of Directors of Crown NorthCorp, Inc., a U.S. public company with principal operations in the U.K. and Europe, providing commercial and residential mortgage loan servicing and asset management to third-party clients and to related-party joint ventures. Managing Director of Crown Mortgage Management U.S., an asset and portfolio management company and rated CMBS special servicer responsible for managing a portfolio of securitized non-performing commercial mortgage loans and directing federal litigation on behalf of CMBS trusts against a large mortgage loan seller for breaches of representations and warranties.
Deloitte & Touche/Deloitte Consulting
New York, Atlanta, Bangkok
Real Estate and Real Estate Capital Markets - As part of Deloitte’s Valuation and Real Estate Consulting Group, participated in building and leading Deloitte’s real estate capital markets practice in New York and nationally, delivering services to a combination of investment banks, commercial banks, life insurance companies, investors, and law firms.
Reorganization Services - Served as lead real estate partner on management team of Deloitte’s national multi-industry Reorganization Services Group, and worked on restructuring engagements for national and regional retailers, a multinational real estate development and management company, a coal mining company, a multinational insurance company, and an Asian telecommunications company.
International – Following the onset of the Asian Financial Crisis, participated in organizing, building, and serving as initial managing partner ( 1998-2001) of the Deloitte Consulting start-up office in Bangkok, including building multinational, multi-industry ( telecommunications, manufacturing, health care, public sector, and financial services industry) staff to 60 professionals by time of departure.
- Served as head of financial institutions practice for Thailand and served as partner on East Asia financial services industry team ( Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Peoples Republic of China, South Korea).
Served as adjunct to Deloitte & Touche start-up corporate restructuring practice in Thailand
Stanford University – Graduate School of Business
- Masters in Business Administration
Georgia Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science – Aerospace Engineering
Commercial Real Estate Finance Council/Commercial Mortgage Securities Association –
- Served as charter member of the board of directors of the Commercial Mortgage Securities Association ( now, Commercial Real Estate Finance Council), developing standards for the emerging industry and serving as co-chair of the first three annual CMSA open conventions.
- Following the onset of the recent capital markets crisis, served on the CMBS 2.0 CREFC Model Reps and Warranties Committee and chaired the sub-committee designing new proposed PSA language for retention of risk through improved resolution of breaches of representations and warranties.
Other professional associations include -
- National Association of Corporate Directors
- Turnaround Management Association
- Regional Plan Association of NY, NJ, and CT
- Urban Land Institute